Monday, March 16, 2015

Clothing for Travel to Walt Disney World and New Orleans in Spring!

So the fam and I are going to WDW and New Orleans in the end of March! We are SUPER

EXCITED! But what about clothing as a plus-sized person? I've lost 30 pounds recently (70 to go!)

and I'm feeling a little better about how I look (which I know is not the most fat-positive thing to say

but I'm not personally happy at my size and if you are do keep reading, I SWEAR I believe in health,

fashion and beauty at EVERY size!!)  and I'm

about a size 16/18 in pants (12-16 in dresses). I need some "jeggings" and I have some older blouses

and because my tummy is my problem area I like longer blouses. Sadly, even though I have a more

hourglass shape (currently 45-36.5-52) {See lower tummy issues lol}, I AM MOST DEFINITELY

NOT the shape of a plus-sized model. (AT THIS POINT SKIP DOWN TO CLOTHING IF YOU DON'T want a mini rant/opinion!)

Sometimes I hate the plus-size models being sold more than

the "thin" ones. The thin ones are so thin that they are something like 10% body fat, but plus-size

models are

more like 30% with curves in "all the right places" in society's eyes, so they have (or either make

them look like they have) larger breasts, butts, thick but smooth thighs, typically thinner arms and

legs though, and flat stomachs, usually in an hourglass shape like the very lovely Ashley Graham

whom is a model (see below). Yes, she is CURVY, but she doesn't look like me, even when I was at

a size 12 (like her approximate pant size) I never had a flat stomach, even at an 8 when I was a

teenager, I still

didn't have a flat stomach. I wasn't built that way and many women aren't. But nobody is telling

women, you won't look like a plus-size model either. Plus-size models are GREAT, body positivity is

GREAT but it also should be realistic too. 90% of us won't look like any kind of normalized model

ever. Plus-size models are more accepted than plus-size people. Because they're the perfect kind of

curvy just like models are the ideal kind of thin. Different imagery, especially curvy imagery is

GREAT, but it is far from perfect because non-hourglass bodies and bodies with too much fat are still

not "acceptable" for modeling. As awesome as it is that the model Tess Holliday was signed, (she

looks to be about a US size 22-26), it doesn't mean her images will be mainstream nor that others

will follow. So I like to say, celebrate but be realistic too.


So WTH do I buy and where? I want to try on in person and due to time shipping is iffy. Well, I did some searching and here is what I found for this Thursday! :) 

Forever 21+ : They typically carry sizes XL - 3X (their sizing for non-plus is usually S-L with some XS). + Size Chart: 
(FYI my size is a 1X, although if I'm nervous or if it's tighter I'll be a 2X, but another reason I like dresses and loose blouses is because my hips are a 3X but my waist is a 1X, MANY women experience this same dilemma, especially if they're very pear shaped and vice-versa for apples). 






I'm only 63" tall so I'm short, which is why I have this last one. FYI the sizing is by color so each color may have all of them or none of them... 
Hopefully my forever 21 + section will have one of these!! 



MACY'S: 
 "Junior Sizing:" 14-24. I was recommended an 18 by their size guide (which is a pretty neat tool). 
This pant is a mid-rise which I like. Low-rise suck for me and my tummy control hopes. My current only pair of jeans is from Target and is a low-rise. It is an 18, I pull it up almost to my waist but then I get some camel-toe which means I only wear these pants with thigh-length blouses and also, if i HAVE to. 
I couldn't really find any online that were available within 25 miles of me (WTF Macy's and JC Penney's) so I'm going to wing it at JC Penney's, Macy's and Forever 21. Wish me luck. :) 

Cheers! <3 Britt


No comments:

Post a Comment